Elizabeth J. McEvoy is a partner in the firm's Litigation practice and Co-Chair of the firm’s Research Misconduct Department. Her practice focuses on healthcare litigation, corporate and commercial civil litigation, white-collar criminal defense, scientific research misconduct cases, and professional licensing matters.
Elizabeth’s civil practice focuses on complex business disputes, and specifically, those disputes arising in Massachusetts’ growing healthcare industry. She represents individuals, LLCs, PLLCs, and other entities in navigating a host of business disputes, including partnership disputes, corporate buy-outs, and related claims for breach of contract and violations of the Massachusetts Wage Act.
Elizabeth’s criminal work focuses on white-collar criminal defense and government investigations. She represents individuals under government scrutiny for possible conspiracy and substantive mail/wire fraud charges as well as individuals and entities charged with violations of a variety of federal fraud statutes.
Elizabeth also spends a significant portion of her practice representing individuals and institutions involved in research misconduct matters. She represents individual scientists accused of fabricating and/or falsifying data from the pre-inquiry stage through the inquiry, investigation, and administrative disciplinary stages as well as before the Office of Research Integrity (ORI). She also counsels institutions at all stages of the institutional investigation of reported research misconduct.
Law Clerk to the Honorable Margot Botsford, Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts
Law Clerk to the Honorable Francis Fecteau, Massachusetts Appeals Court
Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
Harvard College, A.B., cum laude, with honors
Awards & Recognitions
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016-2019*
Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Up & Coming Honoree, 2018
Court / Bar Admissions
District of Massachusetts
Healthcare whistleblower claims; Commercial litigation; Medical peer review proceedings; Business tort; Mail and wire fraud; Mortgage fraud; Tax fraud; Healthcare fraud; Pharmaceutical marketing/Kickbacks/Off label; Public corruption; Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; Internal investigations; Professional licensing and disciplinary cases (physicians, attorneys, CPAs, licensed or regulated professionals); Intra-family disputes; SEC civil cases; Contract disputes; Unfair and deceptive trade practices (Chapter 93A); Massachusetts Wage Act; Employment disputes/discrimination/retaliation
Hospitals; Providers; Non-profit organizations; Home/ hospice care; Professional services; Privately held corporations; Biomedical & pharmaceutical companies; Colleges/universities; Professional societies & associations
Presentations & Publications
- Panel Lead, "THE THREE I’S, BIOSECURITY & RESEARCH INTEGRITY CONFERENCE: Promoting the Responsible Conduct of Research, Partnership, Ethics, Best Practices and the Exploration of Current Trends," Maine Regulatory Training and Ethics Center, 30 April 2019
- Panelist, "Hot Topics in Research," Boston Bar Association, 12 December 2018
- Panelist, "How Lawyers and Forensic Accounts Can Team Together," Boston Bar Association, 5 December 2018
- Panelist, "How to Excel as a Second Chair," Boston Bar Association, 5 June 2018
- Panelist, “Practicing with Professionalism” Boston Bar Association, 20 August 2015
- Panelist, Annual Survive and Thrive Program, Northeastern School of Law
Boston Bar Association
- Public Interest Leadership Program (“PILP 12”), 2015-2016
- Health Law Steering Committee
- Membership Committee, Co-Chair
- New Lawyer’s Section
- Practical Skills Committee, Co-Chair (2013-2015),
- Social Committee, Co-Chair (2016-2017)
- Business Development Committee, Co-Chair (2017-present)
Boston Bar Foundation
- Junior Fellow Steering Committee, Member
Women’s Bar Association
- New Lawyers’ Committee, Co-Chair (2016- present)
Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Law Clerk’s Society
- Board Member, Treasurer
Civic & charitable activities
Volunteer Attorney for the Women’s Bar Foundation’s Family Law Project
Victim’s Rights Law Center, Shining Star Gala, Event Planning Committee
Melanoma Foundation of New England (MFNE), Volunteer speaker
Off the record...
Elizabeth is an avid practitioner of yoga.
- The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- Dismissal of all claims brought against professional limited liability company in a comprehensive arbitration arising from a partnership dispute.
- Negotiated a supervision agreement with ORI for researcher accused of research misconduct facing ten years’ debarment from federal funding.
- Secured significant downward departure under federal sentencing guidelines for client during sentencing for mail fraud and conspiracy offenses.
- Persuaded large public institution not to launch institutional investigation into allegations of research misconduct.
Landmark ruling in scientific misconduct case
Elizabeth McEvoy Leads Panel at Three I’s Research I…
This website presents general information about Barrett & Singal and is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Please note that contacting Barrett & Singal by email, telephone or facsimile will not establish an attorney-client relationship, obligate us to act as your attorney or impose an obligation on either the law firm or the receiving lawyer to keep the transmitted information confidential. Completion of Barrett & Singal’s new client intake protocol, including without limitation the firm’s conflicts checking process and an engagement letter, is necessary to establish an attorney-client relationship. Absent a current attorney-client relationship with Barrett & Singal, any information or documents communicated or transmitted by you to Barrett & Singal will not be treated as confidential, secret or protected in any way. If you are not a current client of Barrett & Singal, please do not send any confidential information to us through this web site or otherwise concerning any potential or actual legal matter you have. Before providing any confidential information to us, you must obtain permission to do so from one of the firm’s lawyers. By clicking "Accept," you acknowledge that we have no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information you submit to us unless we already represent you or unless we have agreed to receive limited confidential material/information from you as a prospective client.
If you would like to discuss becoming a client, please contact one of our attorneys to arrange for a meeting or telephone conference. If you wish to disclose confidential information to a lawyer in the firm before an attorney-client relationship is established, the protections that the law firm will provide to such information from a prospective client should be discussed with the firm attorney before such information is submitted. Thank you for your interest in Barrett & Singal.