Lauren Dwyer is a partner in the firm’s Litigation group and serves as the firm’s general counsel. She focuses on complex business litigation and white-collar criminal defense, and on defending licensed professionals in board disciplinary proceedings. She has represented corporations, executives, managers, employees, and licensed professionals in civil and criminal matters in both state and federal court, as well as internal corporate investigations, in a variety of sectors, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, medical device, construction, and accounting.
In civil matters, she has dealt with commercial disputes involving many different claims, including actions for fraud and misrepresentation, breach of contract, unfair and deceptive business practices, and employment related claims. In her work related to government investigations and enforcement actions, she has dealt with actions by federal prosecutors, the state Attorney General, district attorneys, and various state and federal agencies. She has particular experience in various forms of civil and criminal fraud, and issues facing licensed professionals charged with misconduct. Lauren is also a member of the Boston Bar Association Ethics Committee.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star - 2009, 2017*
CorporateLiveWire Lawyer of the Year in White Collar Criminal Defense for Boston, MA, 2014
Certificate of Appreciation from the Standing Committee on Pro Bono Legal Services of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, awarded in 2007 for pro bono legal services provided to persons detained in New Bedford immigration raid
Associate, Foley Hoag, LLP, Boston
Law Clerk, Honorable Nancy Gertner, U.S. District Court, Boston
Intern, United States Attorney’s Office, District of Massachusetts
Speech Writer, City of New York Department of Parks & Recreation
Boston College Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, "Order of the Coif," 2003
Georgetown University, B.A., cum laude, Government, Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society), 1999
Court / Bar Admissions
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Presentations & Publications
Instructor, Practicing with Professionalism, Boston Bar Association
Panelist, Boston College Law School Ethics Orientation, 2018 and 2019
Follow our Research Misconduct publications on our blog.
Professional Services (attorneys, CPAs, engineers, physicians); Privately held corporations; Education; Employee services/professional staffing; Insurance; Hospitals; Biomedical & Pharmaceutical; Pharmacies; Scientific Research; Scientists; Nonprofit Organizations
American Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Women’s Bar Association
Civic & charitable activities
- Board of Bar Overseers panel member, pro bono representation of attorneys before the Board
- Pro bono representation of victims of domestic violence in civil proceedings to obtain restraining orders and criminal proceedings involving abusers
- Pro bono representation of individuals seeking asylum
- Pro bono representation of domestic violence victim at trial of civil claims against abuser involving theft and identity fraud
Off the record...
Lauren loves cross-country skiing and is eager to check African Safari off her bucket list.
Defense procurement/government contracting fraud; Mail and wire fraud; Mortgage fraud; Tax fraud; Pharmaceutical marketing/Kickbacks/Off Label; Accounting/revenue recognition/financial; Insider trading; Internal investigations; Export violations; Foreign corrupt practices act; Medical peer review proceedings; Professional licensing & disciplinary cases; Scientific & research misconduct proceedings; Business torts; Insurance coverage disputes; Commercial litigation; Contract disputes; Employment agreements/disputes; Healthcare whistleblower claims; Noncompetition agreements; SEC civil cases; Unfair and deceptive trade practices (Chapter 93A)
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- Negotiated favorable, non-public resolutions for licensed professionals subject to licensing board complaints
- In multi-day bench trial successfully defended corporate officers and limited partnership in dismissing claims for breach of fiduciary duty, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, fraudulent conveyance, among related claims, and limiting damages on breach of contract claim
- Successfully defended individual in U.S. Army debarment proceeding involving allegations of import/export violations and contract fraud
- Favorably resolved state criminal proceeding involving allegations of larceny and money laundering with administrative probation
- Successfully represented physicians in criminal and civil investigations relating to various issues, including billing, medical treatment of patient, prescribing practices, and recordkeeping
- Won declaratory judgment after four-week bench trial in contract case seeking declaration that defendant had no right to an ownership interest in multi-million dollar business
- Successfully resolved civil dispute between licensed professionals stemming from departure of partner
- Represent executives, managers, and employees in criminal and civil investigations by state and federal authorities as well as internal investigations
- Member of trial team that successfully defended Big Four accounting firm at a four-week jury trial against allegations of fraud and misrepresentation
- Defend companies in product liability actions in various state and federal courts
“Thank you for giving me my life back.”
Giving back to our community
“Excellent work, excellent results.”
Significant appeal in Big Dig criminal case
Landmark ruling in scientific misconduct case
Why Grantees Must be Prepared for Heightened Scrutiny…
First Federal Indictment Arising Out of Fraudulent…
This website presents general information about Barrett & Singal and is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Please note that contacting Barrett & Singal by email, telephone or facsimile will not establish an attorney-client relationship, obligate us to act as your attorney or impose an obligation on either the law firm or the receiving lawyer to keep the transmitted information confidential. Completion of Barrett & Singal’s new client intake protocol, including without limitation the firm’s conflicts checking process and an engagement letter, is necessary to establish an attorney-client relationship. Absent a current attorney-client relationship with Barrett & Singal, any information or documents communicated or transmitted by you to Barrett & Singal will not be treated as confidential, secret or protected in any way. If you are not a current client of Barrett & Singal, please do not send any confidential information to us through this web site or otherwise concerning any potential or actual legal matter you have. Before providing any confidential information to us, you must obtain permission to do so from one of the firm’s lawyers. By clicking "Accept," you acknowledge that we have no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information you submit to us unless we already represent you or unless we have agreed to receive limited confidential material/information from you as a prospective client.
If you would like to discuss becoming a client, please contact one of our attorneys to arrange for a meeting or telephone conference. If you wish to disclose confidential information to a lawyer in the firm before an attorney-client relationship is established, the protections that the law firm will provide to such information from a prospective client should be discussed with the firm attorney before such information is submitted. Thank you for your interest in Barrett & Singal.