Practice Area: Health Law
Nicole Sexton is an Associate Attorney in the firm’s Health Law practice, where she provides services and consultation to hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, home health agencies, physician groups, assisted living residences, and ambulatory surgery centers in the areas of business and regulatory law. She has special expertise in Determination of Need filings and various regulatory filings for healthcare facilities.
Law Clerk, Barrett & Singal, Boston, MA
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., 2009
University of Massachusetts, Amherst, B.S., cum laude, Psychology, 2006
Awards & Recognitions
Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2018*
Court / bar admissions
Mergers & acquisitions; EMTALA; Financing (Tax exempt/taxable); Corporate formation, joint ventures, affiliations, other business arrangements; Regulatory compliance; State & federal regulatory matters; Tax exempt issues; Telemedicine / e-health; Professional licensure and discipline; Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement
Ambulatory Care; Elder Care; Home/Hospice Care; Pharmacies; Nonprofit Organizations; Privately-held Corporations; Academic Medical Centers; Ambulatory Surgery Centers; Clinical Laboratories; Community Health Centers; Community hospitals; Healthcare Technology; Independent & Assisted Living; Clinics; Skilled Nursing
American Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
Boston Bar Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
Off the record...
Nicole enjoys European travel and her favorite destination is London.
- The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- represented hospital in filing Determination of Need application for substantial facility renovations
- represented healthcare facility in filing and securing Determination of Need approval for transfer of ownership of healthcare facility
- represented client in filing essential service closure notice with Department of Public Health and related closure forms
- assist client in submitting all state and federal regulatory filings for acquisition of skilled nursing facility
- assist client in obtaining loan financing from private lender
- assist hospitals in filing Department of Public Health licensure request for opening of new services and new satellite locations and obtaining related approvals required for operations
- successfully assist clients in filing IRS tax exemption application and obtaining IRS tax exempt status
- assist client in filing and obtaining Executive Office of Elder Affairs certification for change of ownership
“We count on them for strategic advice beyond our legal needs.”
–VP, assisted living
“They know our industry and speak our language.”
–Assisted living provider
Giving back to our community
Clearing the path for a state-of-the-art hospital in Charlestown
Final Implementations to Hospital Licensure…
Medicare Hospital Reimbursement Changes
This website presents general information about Barrett & Singal and is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Please note that contacting Barrett & Singal by email, telephone or facsimile will not establish an attorney-client relationship, obligate us to act as your attorney or impose an obligation on either the law firm or the receiving lawyer to keep the transmitted information confidential. Completion of Barrett & Singal’s new client intake protocol, including without limitation the firm’s conflicts checking process and an engagement letter, is necessary to establish an attorney-client relationship. Absent a current attorney-client relationship with Barrett & Singal, any information or documents communicated or transmitted by you to Barrett & Singal will not be treated as confidential, secret or protected in any way. If you are not a current client of Barrett & Singal, please do not send any confidential information to us through this web site or otherwise concerning any potential or actual legal matter you have. Before providing any confidential information to us, you must obtain permission to do so from one of the firm’s lawyers. By clicking "Accept," you acknowledge that we have no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information you submit to us unless we already represent you or unless we have agreed to receive limited confidential material/information from you as a prospective client.
If you would like to discuss becoming a client, please contact one of our attorneys to arrange for a meeting or telephone conference. If you wish to disclose confidential information to a lawyer in the firm before an attorney-client relationship is established, the protections that the law firm will provide to such information from a prospective client should be discussed with the firm attorney before such information is submitted. Thank you for your interest in Barrett & Singal.