Sean T. Ryan is a partner in the Health Law group. His practice focuses principally on business and regulatory law. Sean represents a wide variety of healthcare organizations, including academic medical centers, community hospitals, specialty hospitals, physician group practices, skilled nursing facilities, home health agencies, community health centers, medical marijuana dispensaries, ambulance service providers and health maintenance organizations. Sean advises many of these organizations on a day-to-day basis on business strategy, regulatory compliance, governance, contracting and employment matters. In addition, he frequently advises clients in connection with investigations and enforcement actions related to Medicare and Medicaid fraud, data breach incidents, healthcare facility licensure and physician licensure. He also maintains a significant corporate transactional practice representing organizations in structuring affiliations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, and taxable and tax exempt financings.
Sean also advises a number of businesses in other industries with a particular emphasis on the representation of transportation firms, nonprofit organizations and cannabis companies. He has extensive experience in working with the U.S. Congress, the Massachusetts State Legislature, and numerous federal, state and municipal agencies in the resolution of various business problems.
Awards & recognitions
Superlawyers, “Rising Star”, 2005-2008*
Senior aide to Congressman John Joseph Moakley in Washington, D.C., and Boston
Campaign Manager for Congressman Moakley
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1999
Suffolk Jurisprudence Award in Corporations
Wesleyan University, B.A., 1991
Court / Bar Admissions
U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
State & federal regulatory matters; Corporate governance; Corporate formation, joint ventures, affiliations, & other business arrangements; Mergers & acquisitions; Employment-related issues; Contract negotiations; Financing (Tax exempt/taxable); Government investigations
Academic Medical Centers; Community Hospitals; Managed Care Organizations; Community Health Centers; Skilled Nursing Facilities; Home / Hospice Care Agencies; Transportation Services; Government Contractors; Employee Services / Professional Staffing; Nonprofit Organizations
Massachusetts Bar Association
Boston Bar Association
Civic & charitable activities
Former Clerk and Member of Board of Directors, John Joseph Moakley Charitable Foundation
Former Vice President and Member of Board of Directors, Norwell Visiting Nurses Association, Inc.
*The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found at here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts.
- Represented an acute care hospital in the formation of a new 10-hospital, health system with $6 billion in revenue and a network of over 4,000 physicians
- Represented largest home health and hospice provider in northeast Massachusetts in joining new health system with an academic medical center, 4 community hospital campuses, a children’s hospital and a network of over 2,000 physicians
- Represented the region’s largest healthcare provider system in acquiring fourth largest HMO in Massachusetts
- Represented specialty hospital providing psychiatric and substance abuse treatment services in acquisition by leading private equity firm
- Represented a community health center in the construction of a new 78,900 square feet facility financed through a combination of New Markets Tax Credits, a term loan, a construction bridge loan, HRSA grant funds and a HRSA guaranty
- Successfully represented numerous employers in audits and appeals of enforcement actions related to compliance with Massachusetts 2006 landmark healthcare reform law
- Represented a variety of non-profit entities, including hospitals, colleges, nursing homes and an air ambulance operator in securing tax-exempt financing for major infrastructure improvement and equipment acquisition projects
- Regularly advises community hospital boards and senior management regarding strategic initiatives, business operations, regulatory compliance and corporate governance
- Represented a leading locum tenens physician and nurse practitioner staffing and recruiting firm from inception through current national expansion
- Regularly advises a wide variety of businesses on employment law matters including contracting, employee discipline and discharge, wage & benefit issues, compliance counseling and non-compete agreements
Clearing the path for a state-of-the-art hospital in Charlestown
“We count on them for strategic advice beyond our legal needs.”
–VP, assisted living
Giving back to our community
“They know our industry and speak our language.”
–Assisted living provider
This website presents general information about Barrett & Singal and is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. You should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.
Please note that contacting Barrett & Singal by email, telephone or facsimile will not establish an attorney-client relationship, obligate us to act as your attorney or impose an obligation on either the law firm or the receiving lawyer to keep the transmitted information confidential. Completion of Barrett & Singal’s new client intake protocol, including without limitation the firm’s conflicts checking process and an engagement letter, is necessary to establish an attorney-client relationship. Absent a current attorney-client relationship with Barrett & Singal, any information or documents communicated or transmitted by you to Barrett & Singal will not be treated as confidential, secret or protected in any way. If you are not a current client of Barrett & Singal, please do not send any confidential information to us through this web site or otherwise concerning any potential or actual legal matter you have. Before providing any confidential information to us, you must obtain permission to do so from one of the firm’s lawyers. By clicking "Accept," you acknowledge that we have no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information you submit to us unless we already represent you or unless we have agreed to receive limited confidential material/information from you as a prospective client.
If you would like to discuss becoming a client, please contact one of our attorneys to arrange for a meeting or telephone conference. If you wish to disclose confidential information to a lawyer in the firm before an attorney-client relationship is established, the protections that the law firm will provide to such information from a prospective client should be discussed with the firm attorney before such information is submitted. Thank you for your interest in Barrett & Singal.